And there is no doubt that there is a wide range when it comes to how easy a particular scope is to track. Possibly the primary decision factor is that a 12" that stays at home in a light-polluted suburb, will show me less that a 10" that is small enough to travel with to darker skies. A 12.5 inch is better for most people as a truss but both are easy sit down all night scopes. But that's just my personal preference, based on years of experience with a variety of scopes. Dobs are easily modified in every possible way so they suit your needs. a 12" will give a very noticeable increase in brightness of deep sky objects (44% more light!). But once you know what to look for, a 10" scope can do the job almost as well. My 10" Discovery sonotube dob is almost as big as a metal tube 12" scope, but it weights 15 pounds less, and it's at the limit of what I would want to carry out to and load into my car. The base is pretty heavy and is in several parts. At one point I realized this newbie was tracking right along at 406x just like my friend and I were. Dods are not for everyone. But these are the prices to pay if you want a big scope, it is up to you whether it is worth it. The refractor-Cat experience is more of a black box, you get what you get and live with it..  No one sends out their refractor or CAT optics to have them refigured, no one swaps secondaries on a CAT or rebuilds the objective or mirror cells.. You have what you have, you sit back and hope for the best... - To the original question.. But … It seems to range from "a bit brighter" in the larger scope, to "mind-blowingly more detail". He brought a friend who had never seen a telescope let alone looked through one. My own solution was to get a used 12.5" truss Dob as a convenient transportable scope for DSO's. If I were to go to a 14" it would certainly be a truss or strut mount. I understand your disappointed with the large scope. 1) I don't think a 12" would fit sideways in the trunk of my car (total scope length is about 58"), so I'd have to fold down one of the rear seats - not good for taking passengers, and leaves scope visible if leaving the vehicle unattended. The Best Dedicated Astronomy Cameras for Beginners. Is the aperture advantage of the 12" worth the extra hassle that the larger scope entails? If your car can't handle a solid tube 12 inch, have you thought about either a truss or collapsible version? And a 12" tube is going to be big, bulky, and fairly heavy. Add to that a mount design that is simple, inexpensive, but not exactly easy to use when tracking objects. Planetary nebulae can also be pretty dramatic because they are pretty bright but super tiny. But I will say this, if you have never experienced a Dobsonian that offered smooth, precise tracking..  rest assured, they can be amazing.. One night I had my big scope, I call it Junior, setup and a friend was driving out for a night under the stars.. Either way I don't think you could go wrong. AstronoMars Channel 71,624 views. ... Telescope Video Jupiter Meade LX90 12 inch Telescope … Seeing these things in person, that's a good way to start.. In this buying guide, we will focus on the best telescopes by aperture size: 6″, 8″, 10″, 12”, 14” and 16″ inch telescopes. I'd stop there so I don't hurt myself putting it in the car or need a bigger car. I guess I was expecting a "magazine photo" experience that just wasn't there. You will see a lot of 8-10" dobs and SCT, probably a lot more 3-5" refractors, and relatively few dobs over 10". Don’t let its massive size fool … 12-inch Telescopes offer exceptional resolution for their size. Imagine carrying a 50 pound water heater and you'll get the idea. Part of it is the scope, part is knowing how to setup the scope properly and part of it is just the skill of the observer. Sky Watcher Quattro 300P Imaging Newtonian - Large Aperture 12-inch Reflector Optical Tube for Ast… Good table top spot scope tripods and heads, Scanning4Comets , Starman81 and Xia Rubia like this. The difference in very dim objects between the two size scopes is not much, but the slight gain in brightness that a 12" gives might make it easier to find them, as long as you understand that you only "see" them with averted vision. I, personally, have never gotten comfortable with being at the wrong end of the tube and everything is backwards to my normal orientation. A few thoughts and comments: -  The wrong end of the scope:  The eyepiece of a Dobsonian is at the Sky end of the telescope, not the ground end. Just my 2 cents. All else being equal, I would probably prefer a large SCT, but they have their own downsides (lifting heavy OTA high on the mount), and are 5 times the price! Newton's invention obviously works the opposite way. . I know I'm the jerk here at the forum who doesn't go along with the crowd, but I would strongly urge you try before you buy. Powered by Shopify. It should be weighed against with the other differences between the scopes: size, weight, transport, price. You can even build one yourself. Bottom line...I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 10, but I am certain you won't be disappointed with a 12. the optics would be a lot better than imported dobs. My friend has one of those Orion XXG12 goto's that breaks down into several pieces. Some great answers here guys! Edited by turtle86, 23 September 2015 - 04:43 PM. Edited by Pinbout, 23 September 2015 - 08:51 AM. 44% isn't nothing, but it isn't a huge amount either. Hence my interest in jumping from 6" to 10" as a minimum. I had a similar experience comparing my 6" Maksutov to the neighbours 8" SCT. You have a Mak and a refractor. I was not impressed by the view of M51 I saw in a 10" and 12". (I also have an 18" but that's another story.) Set up a small telescope next to a larger one in your bright backyard, a significantly larger telescope—I like to pit a 12-inch against a 6-inch—and point both at, say, M13 (globular clusters are effective demonstration tools). Read our 101 article or get in touch. I've had my Z10 for almost 5 years now and I can safely say that I would never want a solid tube Dob in any bigger size. Please re-enable javascript to access full functionality. 800-483-6287 Moon filters - why not just use an aperture mask? If I ever feel the need for more aperture, I would be looking at a truss Dob. A 10 inch scope will offer a significant step up from your 6 inch, it will still be very manageable, it won't be a hassle. Of course, 10" is still pretty darn good and if you can get it to a dark enough site, you'll have a blast with it. I think the difference in cooling between a 10" and 12" is small and manageable and should not be a factor. You will know you have stepped up in aperture with a 10" scope. Up to you based on what you want and what you're willing to deal with. A little aperture will magnify it more to see the detail. Start Chat I enjoy my refractors, it really doesn't take any adjustment to switch between my Dobs and refractors, I often set them up side by side.. move back and forth without a thought. I think I've pretty much decided the 10" solid tube would be a reasonable top limit that combines aperture with transportability and easy set-up and use by a single person. We will be glad to help. 12" Optical tubes also make exceptional light gatherers by allowing an observer to see 16.2 magnitude stars!

Paint For Home, Running Y Chalets, M61 Power Glow Peel When Pregnant, Apartments For Rent In Austin Area Chicago, Il, Quest Protein Powder Ingredients, Roasted Sweet Potatoes Brown Sugar, Amontillado Sherry Cocktails, Detangling Brush For Curly Hair, Eureka Bagless Vacuum, Specialty Carbon Black Market,